Sound Agriculture leverages natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and to create differentiated, tastier, and more nutritious food. Sound is a recognized innovator of nutrient efficiency products and new plant breeding approaches. We are a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Seed2Growth, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Ventures.
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Associate to accelerate Sound’s genomics and bioinformatics efforts. Our discovery and development are driven by advanced sequencing data across our portfolio and pipeline. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with Sound’s scientists on fast-moving projects integrating a variety of sequence data (including transcriptomics, genomics, and metagenomics) in this rapidly growing environment.
The Bioinformatics Associate will report to the Data Platform Manager and will be based in our laboratory in Emeryville, California. Majority remote working is possible.
- Guide and execute genomic and metagenomic bioinformatics work to accelerate development of on-demand crop solutions.
- Create, optimize, and maintain informatic workflows to enable rapid understanding of next-generation sequencing (NGS), phenotypic, and environmental data.
- Demonstrate and advocate excellent data practices. Help us build reproducible and scalable methods to enable great collaborations, publications, and products.
- Collaborate across Sound Agriculture to identify and pursue opportunities to distill data into clear answers to critical research questions.
Skills & Experience
- A Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s with 2 years of working experience in bioinformatics or computational biology.
- Direct experience using high-throughput NGS data for genome assembly, RNAseq, or metagenomic profiling.
- Proficiency in python or R (but have played with others). Demonstrated collaboration-ready coding practices.
- Programmatic management of configuration, storage, and computation in at least one of the major cloud environments, preferring AWS.
- Familiarity with a workflow manager such as pydoit, nextflow, ruffus, or a CWL/WDL system, preferring snakemake.
- A demonstrated ability to learn tools quickly and put them to good use.
- Understanding of experimental work and the satisfaction of accelerating it several fold.
- Successful outreach, teaching, or coaching to bring technical skills to people at various levels of expertise.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Sound Agriculture is based in Emeryville, CA and Research Triangle Park, NC, with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the science of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
To apply for this position, please contact [email protected], attention: Bioinformatics Associate hiring manager.