At Sound Agriculture, we provide innovative, on-demand crop solutions using bio-inspired chemistry and next-gen plant breeding. By unleashing the natural power of plants, we help growers produce crops with fewer resources, and give consumers access to better and more diverse food. Sound is a Series C venture backed company funded by leading investors in food and agriculture.
We are hiring a Genomics Platform Manager to direct the operations of Sound’s genomics and bioinformatics efforts. Next generation sequencing (NGS) underpins product development efforts across our portfolio and pipeline. The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with Sound’s scientists on projects employing sequencing-based methods and bioinformatics analysis. The role is expected to manage the flow of sequencing and informatics projects, execute bioinformatics pipeline workflow, and supervise bench technicians.
The role will be based in our laboratory in Emeryville, California.
- Manage the execution of Sound’s sequencing and bioinformatics platforms, including wet lab and computational functions
- Perform experimental design, execution, and data analysis
- Ensure data quality and on time delivery of project workflow
- Plan and execute platform development activities to expand capacity
- Manage a team of technicians and scientists to meet internal and business demands
- Provide training and mentorship for Discovery team scientists
- Providing technical advice on experimental methods related to genomic sequencing
Skills and experience
- MS or PhD in life sciences with a strong computational element
- 10+ years experience in industry positions
- Fluency in software and cloud computing packages for NGS data analysis
- Experience developing laboratory standard operating procedures and optimizing platform or facility workflows
- Experience training and managing technicians
- Ability and willingness to perform wet lab work and troubleshoot experiments
- Identify as a ‘player coach’ rather than a top down manager
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Passionate about plant and soil science and the future of food and agriculture
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
To apply for this position, email [email protected], attention: Genomics Hiring Manager.