Research Triangle Park, NC
As Sound Ag focuses on building a new product class; and reporting to our Chief Commercial Officer, we have an exciting opportunity for a VP Marketing to join our team. This highly intuitive, agile and hands on individual is comfortable with a fast-paced, high growth environment and unchartered territories. This strategic, tenacious, level-headed thinker thrives in an innovative, collaborative, interdisciplinary startup where resources are stretched and dots need connecting and is seeking to be instrumental in building an outstanding company that is applying great science to an important mission addressing today’s most pressing challenges.
Overview of Challenges and Responsibilities
Partner with Sound’s leadership team to help develop and implement a thoughtful route to market strategy, connecting R&D to commercial operations.
- Own the go-to-market strategy and the marketing mix – product, pricing, place and promotion
- Conduct market analysis and segmentation to identify challenges and opportunities for growth
- Set short- & long-term revenue goals
- Develop and implement a cohesive marketing plan to achieve set goals (identify / prioritize geographies / crops, retail strategy for optimized ROI)
- Track competitors, anticipate market trends, integrate international macro-economic environment / PESTEL to shape strategy and reach desired outcome
- Design and review the marketing functions budget, prioritize projects and allocate resources
- Closely collaborate with sales to reach revenue goals
- Create a product plan to secure launch
- Actively participate in the architecture of the product strategy, product development, product launch, branding and positioning
- Have a clear vision of the value proposition and how the product differentiation impacts and guides the GTM strategy
Customer & Communication Strategy:
- Articulate POC to potential partners (distributors, retailers), cultivate relationships
- Utilize astute knowledge of distribution channels, players and deep understanding of farmers and growers’ philosophies, mentalities, mindset and constraints to bolster product adoption
- User experience: adopt a transformational, customized as opposed to transactional, one-size-fits-all approach to selling the product, showcasing its purpose to increase productivity without reducing the environmental footprint
- A trusted advisor: consult on long-term product benefits versus short-term perceived performance of conventional inputs, shifting perceptions, nurturing satisfaction and solidifying the brand
- Digital: create programs around the customer journey, incorporating social media; engage with farmers before, during and after, ensuring satisfaction
- With a global perspective, create and direct new growth platforms, commercial alliances, in/out licensing agreements / co-development and strategic initiatives that result in significant growth and margin for the company
- Develop thorough understanding of peripheral technologies (precision farming, farm software
management) and how such solutions can complement Sound Ag’s expansion strategy
- Provide commercial input to research and development and field trial teams and help prioritize pipeline
Skills and Experience
- 15+ years commercial experience in the US and abroad, in Ag business management, business
development, market access or senior product management experience in a commercial stage agricultural company (crop protection, seeds, biotechnology) including 5+ years leadership experience building, managing and mentoring a team.
- Expertise in Agronomy, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- MBA or equivalent preferred.
- Successful experience leading the building, planning, launch and successful commercialization of new products on a global basis, international outlook
- Marketing leadership with a proven track record of success in Product Lifecycle
- Robust understanding of the dynamics between Marketing & Sales and how the 2 are closely intertwined for success.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles, branding, advertising and product management, with a deep understanding of farmers, growers, distribution channels, retailers, changing market dynamics, innovation in agricultural biotechnologies and product adoption.
- Superb analytical skills applied to specific markets (Soil Health, Seed Treatment, Crop Yield, Crop Nutrition, Herbicides, Fungicides, Insecticides).
- Fluency in data management software and ability to extract, examine and use information for accurate recommendations and decision making.
- Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills with the ability to solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit with the ability to work across all levels in the organization to drive projects to completion.
- Demonstrated excellence as a leader of a commercial/market access organization including, developing, retaining and motivating a high-performance team in all phases of launch, market development and expansion.
- Successful track record of developing market access and pricing plans for novel products.
- Experience interfacing with investors and participating in other forms of external corporate
communications and industry relations activities; interacting with key opinion leaders and regulatory bodies.
- Collaborative, team-based/partnership approach.
- An excellent negotiator and spokesperson.
- Establishes credibility with intellectually demanding audiences; demonstrates confidence and
commitment to effectively influence and lead.
- Flexibility to work outside of defined position roles to meet the needs of a startup environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Please send your resume and contact details as well as work eligibility – authorized to work lawfully in the United States to [email protected].